Tuesday, April 07, 2009

another round of Blood Tests

My OB asked me to have a blood test at Asiatic Medical Laboratory.
Since we don't have our vehicle at that time, we're thrilled that the Lab is quite near our place.
We can just ride a Pedicab to bring us there.

Dr. Sua-Lao asked me to do the following tests: (explanations are taken from Wikipedia)
Photobucket
1) Complete Blood Count (CBC)
A complete blood count (CBC), also known as full blood count (FBC) or full blood exam (FBE) or blood panel, is a test requested by a doctor or other medical professional that gives information about the cells in a patient's blood.

The cells that circulate in the bloodstream are generally divided into three types: white blood cells (leukocytes), red blood cells (erythrocytes), and platelets (thrombocytes). Abnormally high or low counts may indicate the presence of many forms of disease, and hence blood counts are amongst the most commonly performed blood tests in medicine, as they can provide an overview of a patient's general health status. A CBC is routinely performed during annual physical examinations in some jurisdictions.
2) Urine Analysis
A urinalysis (or "UA") is an array of tests performed on urine and one of the most common methods of medical diagnosis.

A typical medical urinalysis usually includes:


3) Prothrombin time
The prothrombin time (PT) and its derived measures of prothrombin ratioPR) and international normalized ratio (INR) are measures of the extrinsic pathway of coagulation. They are used to determine the clotting tendency of blood, in the measure of warfarin dosage, liver damage, and vitamin K status. The reference range for prothrombin time is usually around 12–15 seconds; the normal range for the INR is 0.8–1.2. PT measures factors II, V, VII, X and fibrinogen. It is used in conjunction with the activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) which measures the intrinsic pathway.
4) APTT - Partial thromboplastin time
- from Wiki:
The partial thromboplastin time (PTT) or activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT or APTT) is a performance indicator measuring the efficacy of both the "intrinsic" (now referred to as the contact activation pathway) and the common coagulation pathways. Apart from detecting abnormalities in blood clotting,[1] it is also used to monitor the treatment effects with heparin, a major anticoagulant.
5) Fasting Serum Insulin
- from Wiki:

A fasting serum insulin level of greater than the upper limit of normal for the assay used (approximately 60 pmol/L) is considered evidence of insulin resistance.

6) Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone or TSH

Thyroid-stimulating hormone (also known as TSH or thyrotropin) is a peptide hormone synthesized and secreted by thyrotrope cells in the anterior pituitary gland which regulates the endocrine function of the thyroid gland.

TSH levels are tested in the blood of patients suspected of suffering from excess (hyperthyroidism), or deficiency (hypothyroidism) of thyroid hormone. Generally, a normal range for TSH for adults is between 0.4 and 5.0 uIU/mL (equivalent to mIU/L), but values vary slightly among labs. The optimal goal TSH level for patients on treatment ranges between 0.3 to 3.0 mIU/L.[4]. The interpretation depends also on what the blood levels of thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) are. The National Health Service in the UK considers a "normal" range to be more like 0.1 to 5.0 uIU/mL.

7) Prolactin
Prolactin (PRL) or Luteotropic hormone (LTH) is a peptide hormone primarily associated with lactation.
Prolactin or luteotropic hormone is synthesised and secreted by lactotrope cells in the adenohypophysis (anterior pituitary gland). It is also produced in other tissues including the breast, the decidua, parts of the central nervous system and the immune system.
To do the blood test, Dr. Sua-Lao and the medical personnel of Asiatic Medical Laboratory explained how the flow should be for the blood test:
1) I have to eat something by 10:00 to 12:00MN - this is to avoid over-fasting. I cannot eat afterwards and I can just drink water, which is good. :)
2) I have wake up 7:00AM the next day, and cannot sleep afterwards.
3) Blood will taken from me around 10:00AM.

So, I did and followed the schedule last April 4. I took some biscuits at 10:30PM and some more around 12:00MN. Cannot sleep immediately, drank lots of water. I woke up at 7:00AM, and felt really sleepy!!! I cannot drink coffee.. I gulped a lot of water to keep me awake.. and walk around the living room like zombie.. I washed my face, and walk around more.. I was still sleepy!!! But to have this blood exam, I have to push myself not to even close my eyes. hahaha!

Then, as my Mom and Aunts enrolled cooking lessons at YMCA, I went to the nearby Asiatic Medical Laboratory to have the tests above.


Ey Melchor, look oh!! Blood!! hahahaha! :)
I will get the results later for all except #5 and 7, as these tests are done only every Thursday. So the results will be available next week, April 16. The tests cost Php 2,830.00! hahaha!!

Everything's not easy here.. As much as I don't want to feel the stress, things are not just plain easy. I've done 5 TV ultrasounds.. visited 2 doctors in Shanghai, 5 doctors here in Manila. And I'm just about to start my whole ordeal. But I'm happy to have my family around me, my husband who supports me.. In the end, I know I will survive and conquer this.

1 comment:

  1. I have had ALL those tests!! I ended up having a functional cyst on my left ovary, which I had aspirated, and it also turned out that the same ovary was attached to my large intestine by scar tissue that had occurred after I had a ruptured appendix at 15. Got rid of both those things, and I felt much better.

    However, I also have hypothyroidism and hypocortisolism (secondary hypopituitarism).

    GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete